- Coleen Rooney accused Rebekah Vardy of leaking her "false" private Instagram stories to the media without permission.
- Rooney said she figured out the leaker by blocking all of her Instagram followers but one, Vardy, then posting "false" information to see what made its way to the press.
- One Twitter user appeared to have laid the blueprint for Rooney nine months ago by suggesting: "Make a false story tell ppl different things see which 1 comes out = find the culprit."
- Twitter has since celebrated the sleuthing.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Coleen Rooney, the wife of DC United star Wayne Rooney, on Wednesday posted an Instagram accusing Rebekah Vardy, the wife of Leicester City and England striker Jamie Vardy, of leaking information to The Sun.
Rooney said after months of information from her personal Instagram account being leaked to the press, she sought out to find who the culprit was.
According to Rooney's Instagram, she blocked all but one user from seeing her stories, weeding out who was leaking the information to the press. She determined it to be Vardy.
"Now I know for certain which account / individual it's come from. I have saved and screenshotted all the original stories which clearly show just one person has viewed them. It's … Rebekah Vardy's account," Rooney wrote.
It appears Rooney may have gotten some sleuthing advice on Twitter. In January, Rooney tweeted about her information being leaked to the press. One user named @dbuzz89 might have given Rooney the blueprint to solving the issue.
"Make a false story tell ppl different things see which 1 comes out = find the culprit," @dbuzz89 tweeted back to Rooney.
—Coleen Rooney (@ColeenRoo) January 27, 2019
—dave (@dbuzz89) January 27, 2019
@dbuzz89's Twitter bio now boasts, "Detective who recently solved the coleen rooney vs rebekah vardy case."
Several people on Twitter have found the tweet and complimented @dbuzz89 on the suggestion.
—Tara Mulholland (@tara_mulholland) October 9, 2019
—Vance Munson (@GT_____) October 9, 2019
—D (@DonovanRoss) October 9, 2019
Apparently, @dbuzz89 has gotten a few media requests.
—dave (@dbuzz89) October 9, 2019
Vardy denied the accusations in a separate Instagram post, saying she had never spoken to the press and was upset with Coleen for accusing her of leaking while "heavily pregnant."
According to The Independent's Colin Drury, Vardy is consulting her legal team about the accusation.