- Benson Henderson is "back in title contention" after beating Myles Jury at the 3Arena on Friday.
- It was Henderson's eighth fight with Bellator MMA, having previously been a champion with the UFC.
- But though Bellator had put Henderson in title bouts, he had never won a championship with the Hollywood fight firm.
- After beating Jury by unanimous decision, it might be third time lucky for the multi-dimensional mixed martial artist.
- This is because Bellator Europe promoter David Green had previously told Business Insider that if Henderson won then he will "definitely be back" in the champinonship picture.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
DUBLIN — Benson Henderson is "back in title contention" after defeating Myles Jury by decision at Bellator 227 in Dublin's 3Arena.
Henderson began his Bellator career with losses as he was defeated thrice in his first four bouts with the Hollywood fight firm. But after three victories in a row, his lightweight fight against Jury was always going to show whether he could build on that momentum and maintain his campaign for a third shot at a Bellator title.
With three cageside scores of 30-27, Henderson has now won four fights in a row. This win streak sees him move one step closer to the division's champion — jiu jitsu black belt Patricio Freire, who he beat in 2016 before losing the rematch in 2017.
"You've got an educated MMA audience in Ireland so when you bring someone of Henderson's caliber over, it generates smiles," Bellator Europe promoter David Green told Business Insider earlier this week.
"He had a bumpy start to his Bellator career but he's now on a win streak, got a fighter's brain, and huge experience that you can't learn … only get."
Green added: "He'll definitely be back in contention for titles if he keeps going the way he's going."