At the company's September 2019 conference in Cupertino, Apple announced the iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max— their newest iPhone models, which feature advanced camera software and faster hardware.
However, the iPhone 11 reveal also came with another announcement: price drops for nearly every older iPhone model.
This means that if you've ever been interested in the iPhone X, XR, XS, or XS Max— all very powerful smartphones in their own right — now might be the time to make a purchase. Even with new models coming out, the iPhone X line is still a great option for any consumer not looking to spend big money on a phone.
Here's a breakdown of every iPhone X model, and what they cost.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
The major features of the iPhone X
The iPhone X kicked off the iPhone redesign. This model introduced features that are now common on all the other handsets in the X line — the edge-to-edge display with almost no visible bezel is the most obvious design element.
But it also replaced Touch ID with Face ID, and that in turn created the infamous notch — the screen is interrupted at the top with a cutout for various cameras and sensors.
Because of the almost bezel-free design, the iPhone X packs a 5.8-inch display into a handset that's only barely larger than the screen itself. It has dual 12-megapixel cameras (both wide-angle and telephoto).
The key differences between the iPhone X models
All of the other iPhone models are variations (and improvements on) the iPhone X. The newer iPhone X models have a faster CPU and faster wireless charging. But here are the major differences:
- The iPhone XR is intended to be the more affordable model in the iPhone X family. The display isn't quite as sophisticated; it doesn't feature an OLED display like all the other iPhone X models do. It has a slightly larger display (6.1 inches) than the basic X, and comes in a variety of colors (blue, white, black, yellow, coral, and red). It lacks dual wide angle and telephoto cameras, but otherwise the cameras and most of the hardware are identical to the iPhone XS.
- The iPhone XS is a limited upgrade over the iPhone X; it has the same size screen as the original iPhone X as well as the same dual cameras. It boasts slightly better water resistance as well.
- The iPhone XS Max is a supersized version of the iPhone XS, much like the way the iPhone 7 Plus is a bigger version of the iPhone 7. It has a 6.5-inch display, and a longer battery life thanks to a bigger battery in the larger frame.
How much each iPhone X model costs
The iPhone X is no longer sold by Apple, so the price will vary depending on the retailer or carrier. On Amazon, you can find the iPhone X 64 GB for about $649 and the 256GB model for about $730.
Note that on Amazon, you'll be able to buy the phones unlocked from any carrier, while some other retailers may require you to register it with your cell phone carrier.
The iPhone XR is available in three storage capacities, only two of which are sold by Apple
- iPhone XR with 64GB costs $599 from Apple
- iPhone XR with 128GB costs $649 from Apple
- iPhone XR with 256GB costs $724 from Amazon
The iPhone XS is no longer sold by Apple, but also comes in three varieties:
- iPhone XS with 64GB costs $799 from Amazon
- iPhone XS with 256GB costs $999 from Amazon
- iPhone XS with 512GB costs $1249 from Best Buy
The iPhone XS Max also comes in the same three capacities, but each is slightly more expensive due to the larger display. The XS Max is also no longer sold by Apple.
- iPhone XS Max with 64GB costs $928 from Amazon
- iPhone XS Max with 256GB costs $1097 from Amazon
- iPhone XS Max with 512GB costs $1099 from Amazon