However, it's not very difficult to get around these age restrictions, and YouTube seems to know this, as it has recently got in trouble with the Federal Trade Commission for violating child privacy laws. Google, YouTube's parent company, had to pay a $170 million settlement for illegally collecting the data of children under 13.
In addition, some mature content on YouTube is restricted to viewers aged 18 and older. If you don't meet the age requirements for certain videos — depending on the birthdate you entered in your YouTube profile — you won't be able to watch those videos on your account.
If you want to change your age on YouTube, ideally you have your parent's permission to access mature content. Or perhaps you just want to fix a birthdate you had incorrectly entered.
How to change your age on YouTube
1. Once logged into your account, click your image or avatar at the top right corner of the YouTube homepage.
2. Click "Manage your Google Account" on the dropdown menu that appears.
3. Click the blue text reading "Personal info" on the left-hand column of the next page.
4. Click the arrow beside your birthday.
5. Click the pencil icon to edit your birthday.
6. Enter your new birthdate, then hit "UPDATE."
Now log out of YouTube, and when you sign back in, your new age will be there.