It may have been a while since your last geography class, but latitude, longitude, and the Global Positioning System (GPS) likely play a vital role in your daily life — especially if you are an avid Google Maps user.
Getting the GPS coordinates for a specific location using Google Maps is easy, and can be helpful if you are looking for a very specific place, like a precise location in a park where your friends are, or a house in the mountains on a large piece of property.
Here's how to find coordinates on Google Maps and copy them so you can share your exact location on your phone or computer.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to find coordinates on Google Maps on the mobile app
2. Enter the location, or select and hold to drop a pin on the map of the location you want the coordinates for.
3. Scroll down to find the coordinates.
4. Tap the coordinates to copy to your phone's clipboard.
5. Paste the coordinates in the search bar at the top of the screen.
You can also share these coordinates with others by pasting them in a text message or email, which can be helpful if you want to share a very specific location with friends.
For more information about sharing your location on an iPhone, read our article, " How to share your location on an iPhone in 4 different ways."
How to find coordinates on Google Maps on your computer
1. Open your preferred browser.
2. Go to https://www.google.com/maps.
3. Type in the location you want the coordinates for.
4. Right click on the red balloon (the location pin) to access the menu.
5. Click "What's Here?"
6. A new box will appear and the location's coordinates will be in blue print.
7. Click on the coordinates.
8. A new destination box will appear on the left with the coordinates you've selected.
9. Double tap on the coordinates and then press Command C to copy to your clipboard.