Have you ever gone for a run with a friend and wished you could listen to the same music at the same time? Ever been watching a show with someone on your phone and wish you didn’t have to each share one headphone?
Thanks to a new feature called audio sharing in iOS 13, you and a friend can share audio between two devices. The bad news is that this feature comes with a lot of caveats.
First of all, to use this, you’ll both need to have an iPhone 8 or newer. Secondly, it only works if both you and your friend’s phones are connected to either AirPods or certain compatible Beats headphones.
Here are all the Beats versions that work with audio sharing:
- Solo ProPowerbeats ProPowerbeats3Beats Solo3 WirelessBeats Studio3 WirelessBeatsX
Here’s what you need to know about how to use audio sharing in iOS 13.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:iPhone 11 (From $699.99 at Apple)Apple AirPods Pro (From $249.99 at Apple) Beats Solo Pro Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones (From $299.95 at Apple) How to share audio on an iPhone running iOS 13
2. If your friend has AirPods, have them bring the open charging case, with the AirPods in them, close to your iPhone.
- If your friend has Beats, have them hold the power button down for less than a second, then bring your iPhone close to their headphones.
3. A box will pop up on your iPhone’s screen with a picture of your friend’s device on it. Tap “Temporarily share music” to connect to your friend’s AirPods and share music.
Once this window shows up, you can share your audio.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
- How to make your AirPods louder if they aren’t loud enough, or fix any other volume-related issueHow to connect your AirPods to a Chromebook in 6 simple stepsHow to make sure your AirPods update to the latest firmware version, and check which version is installedHow to pair AirPods to your Apple Watch manually, if they didn’t automatically pair through your iPhone‘Do Galaxy Buds work with an iPhone?’: Yes, they do — here’s how to pair them with your iPhone