- Cords are a pain — especially when you're trying to vacuum.
- Cordless vacuums keep gaining in popularity, and Dyson's V Series of vacuums are the best ones you can buy with their powerful suction, reasonable battery life, and helpful accessories.
Vacuuming isn't a chore that many people like, but it's still something that has to get done. Of course, just because you may not enjoy cleaning, that doesn't mean you should try to find ways to make it as painless as possible. Perhaps the first step in doing so is ensuring that you have tools that actually work.
A great vacuum can make a world of difference when you're trying to suck up that dirt and animal hair. Many prefer the convenience of the cordless vacuum, which eliminates the annoyance of being tethered to a much-too-short cord that limits where your vacuum can reach.
Getting rid of a tether isn't the only reason to choose a cordless vacuum. Normally, cordless vacuums are also a little lighter than their wired counterparts and they're quicker to set up and tear down, so you can get the house tidied up quickly if you're on a time crunch.
So what should you look for in a cordless vacuum? Well, because there is no cord, these vacuums rely on battery power, so you'll want to ensure that the battery can last long enough for you to clean the house. Normally, batteries last anywhere between 15 and 40 minutes, and for most, that will be enough to clean the carpet in the house, but those with larger homes should look for something with longer battery life.
You should also consider things like weight, included accessories and extensions, and whether or not the vacuum can clean hardwood floors or just carpets.
As for the appeal of cordless vacuums? Anyone who's ever had their ankles tangled up while vacuuming, or has gotten to the end of a room only to run out of cord, knows the pain. We've done the research to find the very best cordless vacuums you can buy.
Here are the best cordless vacuum cleaners of 2019:
- Best cordless vacuums overall: Dyson V series cordless vacuums
- Best cordless vacuum for less than $300: Shark DuoClean Cordless IONFlex Vacuum
- Best cordless vacuum for pet owners: Shark Navigator Freestyle
- Best cordless vacuum that's a full-size crossover: Hoover Air Lift
Updated by Caitlin Petreycik on 10/04/2019: Updated prices and formatting.